12.11.08

An Aesthetic

Having started storyboarding, it's fast becoming apparent that I nail the aesthetic. As twisted as the script is (the level of which is somewhat new ground to me), I'm still aiming for some good laughs - the last thing I want is for people to wince at this and tug at their collars!!


So, where better place to start than with a look at an inspirational aesthetic created by Mr. John K. - most well known for creating Ren & Stimpy
.


There are two main points to be examined here - firstly the humour exhibited in Ren & Stimpy is very typically of the 'gross-out/freak-out' variety and secondly, the poses/drawings are hugely exaggerated a lot of the time so as to exemplify this humour - oh, and let's not forget the psyched-out layouts that flash on screen during Ren's many spazzed out moments too (a possible device to consider for the tense moments leading up to and including the surgery scene in Act 2 of 'Never Mind The Bollocks').


As a child and up to now, this show, as one example of an aesthetic I would wish to draw inspiration from for my film, has never startled me or had me raise an eyebrow in 'wtf!?'ness - the work is so confident with its nostalgic 1950's styling and humour (even with an apparent lack of strong cohesive plot in many episodes) that it has always extracted belly laughs from me and the others whom I watch it with.


One to be watched closely for sure. In the coming days/weeks I'll also be researching relevant thriller/horror films that may also help me to develop methods to build suspense and tension in the plot, as well as expanding the aesthetic further.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Nice poster Tom! Love the composition. Looking froward to seeing some boards up here...?

Solent animation said...

i think you are right to go the route of an aesthetic which ordinarily would be cutesy and appealing. this will contrast nicely with the horrors that occur in the story.

what other sources of inspiration are at play in this project? what will be your own personal style stamp on this work which enables your work to be something original and not merely 'ren and stimpy' fan art?